Yoast vs Rank Math – Which Plugin Should I Use for My SEO?
Yoast SEO and Rank Math are two of the most popular and most recommended SEO plugins. And both are excellent tools for preparing your site for success in Google's rankings.
Both tools are appropriate for users of any level of expertise. Even if you're a complete beginner, following the provided tips and optimising your posts for your target keywords should be simple.
Yoast SEO has remained at the top of the class since the inception of WordPress, but a new challenger, Rank Math, may be about to dethrone it.
Yoast SEO, which was first released in 2010, is by far the most popular WordPress SEO plugin. Joost de Valk founded it after working as an SEO consultant before launching Yoast SEO.
The free version's features are somewhat limited, but it includes all of the basic options you'll need, which should be more than enough for most people.
The pro version and add ons allow you to expand on the basic features
Rank Math, is a newcomer to the WordPress SEO scene. It was released in late 2018, and started in New Delhi, India, but it had been in development for several years prior.
Rank Math comes from MyThemeShop, a well-established WordPress development team.
Rank Math has rapidly grown in popularity since its initial release, and it now ranks as the second-most popular WordPress SEO plugin. It's gone from almost nothing to over 500,000 active installs in less than two years, which is impressive for a WordPress plugin.
Yoast SEO vs Rank Math ‐ Features
Let's get into the meat of our Rank Math vs Yoast SEO comparison, starting with a look at the features of each plugin.
Yoast SEO's free version has fewer features, but the Yoast SEO team does offer a number of pro add-ons that can be used to supplement the core features. But Yoast SEO charges for features that Rank Math provides for free, such as a redirect manager, multiple keyword analysis, and internal link suggestions.
- Meta descriptions and SEO titles – you can change your SEO descriptions and titles manually for each piece of content, or you can apply templates automatically.
- XML sitemap – Create an XML sitemap that is more customisable than the detailed WordPress feature allows.
- Focus keyword analysis – You can see how well-optimized content is for a specific keyword. You can only add one focus keyword in the free version.
- Sitewide schema – Add sitewide schema markup.
- Content schema type – You can set a default schema for the entire site or a custom schema for specific pieces of content.
- Search console – Verify your website with Search Console.
- Social media descriptions – Control how your content and images are displayed on social media platforms such as Twitter and Facebook.
- Basic WooCommerce SEO – You can set your shop page, as well as product descriptions and titles, using the basic WooCommerce SEO options. But, with the Yoast WooCommerce addon, you have more options.
- Cornerstone content –Certain pages are labeled as "Cornerstone," indicating their significance.
- Breadcrumbs – You can also include Breadcrumbs in your website. Breadcrumbs are links that allow users to determine where they are on a website and how far they are from the site's home page.
- Link counter – You can see how many internal links are pointing to a specific post/page.
Premium version options:
- Redirect manager – Add and manage 301 and 302 redirects.
- Internal link suggestion – The plugin will suggest previously published content on your site for you to link to.
- Internal link blocks – Add blocks that will automatically include relevant links instead of manually adding those links.
- Multiple focus keywords – You can assess how well- optimised your site's content is for a variety of keywords.
- Related keyphrases – Get related keywords based on SEMrush data.
- No ads – There is no Yoast SEO advertising in the dashboard.
- Elementor integration – Yoast SEO tools are available in Elementor.
Yoast SEO also provides paid add-ons for various types of SEO. The paid add-ons include:
- Local SEO
- Video SEO
- News SEO
- WooCommerce SEO (Advanced)
Pricing: Yoast SEO is free. You get incredible features that will help you rank – for free! Yoast SEO Premium, which costs 89 EUR, is available in addition to the free version. That amount entitles you to a year's worth of additional SEO-boosting features, 24/7 support, and access to all Yoast SEO academy courses.
Rank Math plugin comes as a free and premium version.
- Set SEO titles/meta descriptions – Create templates that will automatically apply to content and manually adjust SEO titles and descriptions for individual pieces of content.
- Set social media descriptions – Control the text and images on Facebook and Twitter.
- Focus keyword analysis (supports multiple keywords) – Enter one or more focus keywords to see how optimised your content is for those keywords.
- XML Sitemap –create a more customisable XML sitemap than WordPress's default sitemap feature allows.
- Structured data/schema – Configure sitewide schema markup as well as control schema markup for individual pieces of content.
- Search Console – Connect your site to Google Search Console to automatically submit sitemaps and view Search Console analytics inside your WordPress dashboard.
- Local SEO and Knowledge Graph – Optimise your site for local SEO (only one location for free)
- Image SEO – Improve image SEO and automatically set alt and title tags.
- Internal Link suggestions – While you're working in the editor, Rank Math will suggest additional content on your site to link to.
- Breadcrumbs – Add breadcrumbs to your site.
- Link Counter – Count the number of internal and external links in your content.
- Redirections – Create and manage 301 and 302 redirects.
- 404 Monitor – Check for 404 errors on your website. You could then redirect frequently encountered 404 errors to other pages on your site.
- Google Analytics – View information after entering the tracking code.
- Basic WooCommerce SEO – Set product/shop titles/descriptions.
- Keyword rank tracking – track your site’s search engine rankings and keyword performance over the past 12 months
- Google Trends integration
- Google Video SEO sitemap
- Google News SEO sitemap
- Multiple locations for local SEO
- More predefined schema types (20+)
- Google AdSense earning history
- Automatically watermark social media images
Pricing: Rank Math's packages are far more affordable and comprehensive, including unlimited multi-site use as part of the Premium pricing. Everything is included in the single price.
Yoast SEO and Rank Math: Pros and Cons
- Easy to access and user friendly.
- Assist you in identifying errors based on SEO benchmarks.
- Show you the right keywords.
- It assists you in detecting errors while writing content.
- Yoast sometimes could be better at understand the intent, when it comes to content.
- The UI is user-friendly.
- Easy to import settings from other SEO plugins like Yoast or All in one.
- A free version of the plugin is available to download.
- Rank Math does not affect website speed.
- Compatible with the latest SEO practices and methods.
- No need to install additional plugins for rich snippets.
- It has great customer support.
- A little more complicated as compared to other SEO tools.
- Other Seo plugins don’t support settings imported from Rank Math.
Which is better?
The figures and reviews do not lie. Both Yoast SEO and Rank Math are clearly high-quality SEO plugins.
To compete with Yoast SEO, Rank Math must be cheaper and have more free features. But Yoast SEO is still far more popular and widely used than Rank Math. Basically, you won't make a mistake by using either plugin. It's more about selecting the plugin that will best help you achieve your SEO objectives, and the plugin that is best for your own individual needs.
Need help choosing your web host provider?
We can help you choose the right web host provider and get your website started.
Tell us about your technical needs and we will recommend the ideal solution for you.
Read more from our blog
Professional Outsourced IT Support London
We pride ourselves on providing excellent customer service and effective IT solutions. Working with clients in London and around the UK, across a range of industries. Our expert IT support services offer a perfect solution for businesses of all sizes.
If you need to outsource your IT support or reviewing your existing IT services arrangements contact our technical HelpDesk support team today.